Free Delivery Order Over £200

Zulu Warrior 1879, ZWB

Zulu Warrior 1879, Bronze


138.00 (115.00 Excl VAT)

Information Icon Engraving Text - Enter Below:

Informtion Icon Do you require this item for a specific date?:


Product Description

In 1879 European settlers were flooding into Natal on the Southern horn of Africa and were moving ever north. The Zulu Nation's lands bordered with Natal it was rich and desired by the settlers. In 1878 the British, using the excuse of the percieved threat of the Zulu Army to their north, ordered King Cetshwayo to break up the amabutho system or face war, as a cornerstone of Zulu society this was an impossible demand and the impis were mobilised. The uThulwana ibutho were a senior regiment with wives, aged in their early to mid 40's. They carried either the small (umbhumbhulozu) or large (isihlangu) shield in their ibutho's red-spotted over white design. Most carried the short, heavy bladed Assegi's and one or two throwing spears. A number would also have had a musket which had been traded from travellers through the Zulu Kingdom.

As part of the main Zulu impi (uNdi corps), the uThulwana ibutho were concealed by the Ngwebeni River on the night of 21/22nd January. They were undetected within five miles of Lord Chelmsford's main British force, which consisting primarily of the 24th Regiment of Foot camped in front of Isandlwana. Shortly before noon on the 22nd, Lieutenant Raw with a small piquet of the Natal Native Horse stumbled onto the Zulus. Massed warriors sprang out of hiding and swarmed towards Isandlwana.

The uThulwana's were to encircle the enemy to the west. As battle began they moved round to the rear of the British. Fearing loss of face from the other more junior regiments for not having fought, their commander Prince Dabulamanzi kaMpande decided to attack Rorke's Drift Mission in Natal.

At about 4.30pm, 3-4000 Zulus including the uThulwana's attacked the mission buildings which by then had been fairly well fortified by B Company, 2nd Battalion, 24th Regiment. The initial Zulu frontal attack was led by the iNdluyengwe ibutho, the uThulwana's behind swung round the mission to attack through the gardens from the North. Fierce fighting ensued with the defenders grimly holding onto every inch of the defences. By last light the situation was critical. With casualties rising, the Welshmen held on throughout the night and at dawn on the 23rd the Zulu force began a general withdrawal into Zululand.